5 Tips for Staying Healthy on Vacation
Taking time off for vacation shouldn’t mean taking time off from your healthy lifestyle too. Don’t throw away months of work for one gluttonous getaway. You can stay on track – and still have fun – with Jillian’s tips.
Schedule Your Workouts
Even if you overindulge a little on food while you are away, you’ll stave off weight gain by making sure you exercise on a daily basis. Set aside 45 minutes to an hour a day for some form of physical activity. Book your stay at a hotel with a gym and plan some time each day for a workout. I know what you’re thinking, but I’m not suggesting you do long, grueling sessions! Go for a long walk on the beach with your significant other or friends, rent bikes and go exploring on a family bike ride, swim laps at the pool, or simply bring one of my DVDs and pop it in while everyone else is away. If weather permits, check out a website, like trails.com, to find local biking, hiking, or jogging paths. When you think about it, really, the options are endless.
Do Your Research
When on vacation, you’re definitely more likely to dine out at restaurants. Just like you take time to plan which activities you want to do while on your vaca, spend some time planning where you’ll eat out, checking out menus online beforehand. Also, stock up on grab-and-go snacks that you can bring with you while you’re sightseeing. You can pre-pack small baggies of trail mix or veggies or bring fruit and nuts to take with you. Make sure you utilize your mini fridge (in a healthy way) if you are at a hotel: When I stay in hotels, I clear out the mini-bar section of the fridge and stock it with healthier options like low-fat Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, and hard-boiled eggs, plus I pick up a case of bottled water to keep in my room. You can grab these items quickly on your way out, so you don’t have to resort to buying overpriced, unhealthy snacks when hunger strikes.
Don’t Overindulge at Every Meal
I never want you to deprive yourself, but I do advise moderation when you indulge in your favorite splurge foods. For example, have a bite or two of the cheesecake at dessert if that’s your favorite, but don’t eat the whole slice. If you know that you’ll be having dinner at a restaurant you’ve been dying to try, then eat lighter throughout the day so you have some calories to spare. Apply the 80/20 rule: Make 20 percent of your daily calories the treat food of your choice, then try to stick to your healthy diet as best you can for the other 80 percent. Think of your calories as an allowance: Save on calories where you can, and spend them on things that are really worth it.
Don’t Drink Up Your Calories
Ordering a poolside frozen margarita can blow a good portion of your calorie count for the day — just one contains a whooping 700 calories! Sure, you’re on vacation and want to unwind with a couple of drinks — I get it. I just want you to make the healthier choice when it comes to alcohol too. Instead of sugar-laden cocktails, choose lower-calorie drinks like a white-wine spritzer, light beer, red or white wine, flavored vodka with club soda, or tequila on the rocks with lime.
Get Active With Your Family
A vacation is a perfect opportunity for everyone in your family to try something new and get out of their comfort zone a bit. Yes, I still want you to fit in your 45-to-60-minute workout, but if you can find a fun, physical activity for the rest of the family to join in too — even better! Bring a football to toss around the beach or set up a volleyball net, go snorkeling, or kayaking. Get the family involved and, most of all, have a great trip!